Wednesday, August 02, 2006


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Have You Used a Tongue Scrapper to Prevent Bad Breath?

Have You Used a Tongue Scrapper to Prevent Bad Breath?

Look in the mirror and stick your tongue out as far as you can. If you see an off-color area in the back of your tongue, you may have found a bad breath breeding ground. Now wipe your finger across the back of your tongue and blow on it. If it smells bad, chances are you have bad breath.

I just tried it, and guess what, my breath doesn’t smell so good. In fact, I can now taste my bad breath. Gross, huh?

Bacteria live and thrive on the back of our tongues, and the only way to remove as much of the bacteria as possible is with a tongue scraper. Tongue scraping twice a day is 50 percent more effective at eliminating bad breath than brushing alone and can actually increase taste sensitivity.

I never used a tongue scraper until my dentist recommended one. You think he could smell my bad breath?

Tongue scrapers or cleaners, which are u-shaped devices made from plastic or stainless steel, have been around for years. They look like shaving razors without the sharp blades. They should be rinsed with hot water after each swipe of the tongue. Even more beneficial is storing them in a glass of antibacterial rinse.

Personally I prefer the disposable kind.

Studies suggest that tongue cleaning should accompany brushing and flossing in order to achieve a truly cleansed oral cavity. Tongue cleaning removes most of the bacteria and other debris that are the primary sources of bad breath, tartar, and tooth decay.

I have learned to carry a brush, floss, a tooth picker, and a tongue cleaner with me every where I go. And guess what? Habit makes for great hygiene. It becomes second nature.

Tongue cleaning is comfortable, easy, and only takes 20-30 seconds. Rinsing with an anti-bacterial rinse should take place after the tongue is cleaned. Tongue cleaning is a chemical-free process and actually removes this gross stuff from your tongue, instead of masking it, like mints.

In terms of oral health and halitosis (bad breath) treatment, there is no doubt that the bulk of the odor-causing bacteria in the mouth reside on the tongue. I used to just brush my tongue, but keep in mind that brushing the tongue does nothing but mash the bacteria and plaque deeper into the tongue without addressing the real problem. Don’t do it!

Tongue cleaning removes a portion of bacteria remaining in the mouth after brushing and flossing. Using an antibacterial mouth rinse alone after brushing and flossing, although temporarily giving a sense of fresh breath, does not remove bacteria remaining on the tongue. However, a final rinse with an antibacterial product, after using a tongue scraper, usually puts a finishing touch on any remaining odor and is quite effective.

Give it a try. I think you will be happy with the results. You can find the tongue scrapers at your local pharmacy. No need to buy them online when they are readily available locally. But if you need me to refer you online, just drop me a line and I would be more than happy to assist. Just ask.

Enjoy,

Alexa

Have You Used a Tongue Scrapper to Prevent Bad Breath?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home